Translate

Thursday 26 November 2015

Wicked: Elphaba Shiz Uniform

Hello Fellow Greenified Guys and Dolls,

*Gasp* A different character *Gasp* a new costume analysis.

So basically I'm on break at the moment so I have way too much time on my hands  (Yay, for this blog, but bad for my wallet cause of Fabric and Sewing supplies shopping trips)

Anyway, Today I felt like doing someone different, and while I love G(a)linda and her costumes, I thought I should do something else. So I've decided to look at Elphaba's School Uniform.

So Elphaba basically wears this costume for the majority of the First Act. There are 5 aspects to this costume, First there is the School blazer, which she wears over top of a false turtleneck and a dress (but it appears to be a skirt until she takes it off for Dancing Through Life and the Oz-dust Ballroom scene).So those are the three aspects of he actual costume but she wears leather boots (like Dr. Martins), that are a dark Brown but If you are making your own costume you could always wear a navy blue or black pair. These boots have no pattern on them. She then wears this knit beanie over top of her wig (which is in a braid) and glasses (Kinda like Harry Potter, but sometimes these are round and sometimes these are oval, it depends on the actor's face shape and what suits them).

So Pictures (Also from Galinda's Wardrobe, in-case you haven't noticed my affinity for this site)




I thought this was a good picture as it shows what the turtle neck really looks like.





So there you have it, the elements of the costume. She basically wears the shoes and the dress for the majority of Act 1 until One Short Day which is when she has her first quick change.  So the Dress basically is paneled from the top until just above the hip and below the waist on the left side where it turns into diagonal pleats. This creates an asymmetrical hemline along the bottom of the skirt. Which I personally think is really cool, but would be super hard to make, and get it to look right.

So the Blazer, has pockets (not false ones like on Galinda's Shiz uniform Blazer) and has a black trim, that goes around the edges of the collar and the front of the blazer where it buttons up (there are usually like 3 to 4 buttons) but the trim finishes just before her pockets. Pic Below:


I hope you can see that. But occasionally the trim goes right around the bottom edge of the blazer, like in this picture:



Also in the picture above, you can see really clearly the diagonal, asymmetrical hemline on the dress.


Anyway, that's all from me for now

Ciao,


Becca M.



"I'm the other daughter! I'm Beautifully Tragic!"




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the article and pictures. I just saw WICKED (second row) and love Elphaba's school dress. Trying to figure out how to draft it. It looks like the bodice is cut on the straight and the skirt is on the bias. But it's so hard to tell from any pictures (on this site or others.)

    ReplyDelete