Translate

Monday 23 November 2015

Wicked: Galinda's Bubble Dress Part 2.


Hello Fellow Ozians,

In my last post, I touched on a few of the features of Galinda/Glinda's bubble dress.

But because this dress, has so much to it. There is more than meets the eye!

The Bodice and the Skirt are separate pieces, and although I tried really hard I couldn't find a decent picture.

So, just a basic overview of the dress:

- Made out of Ice blue satin, a lot of underskirts and pearlized sheer blue organza
-The Bodice has boning in it, to "keep Glinda in" the dress as Susan Hilferty said
- In the dress on broadway there is over 100,000 sequins on it which have all been hand-sewn on.
- There are 5 different petal sizes, the top row (the smallest size) is sewn into the waistband and the bottom row (the largest petals) is sewn completely onto the underskirt.


So today, I'm gonna talk about the back of the dress, and the collar which Galinda wears, and which is detachable.

The collar from what I can gather (sewing pun, sorry couldn't help myself), is made out of wire that has been bent into the desired shape and soldered at the corners to stop the metal wire from tearing the fabric.
The fabric used is the same pearlized sheer blue organza that was used for the skirt petals.
Then sequins have been sewn in the top 2 corners of the collar.

See pictures below (taken from Galinda's Wardrobe, Bubble Dress AUS research page):








As shown in the pictures above, my ideas about the collar fits nicely.

Also as seen in the pictures above, the back of the dress plunges down below the shoulder blades and has an invisible zipper (this is the Australian Bubble Dress, the German Dress has hooks and eyes).
Of Course, as is obvious in the photos, there is a small petal covering the lower part of the zipper and the bodice. This is where they hook Galinda into the Bubble (Picture Below paragraph, of Galinda in Bubble), and there is usually a Carabiner connected to the dress, which is the why the oddly placed petal is there. To hide it.


Pic of Galinda in Bubble (for those who haven't seen Wicked):




Anyway, Thats all from me for now! I hope to be posting about my own Bubble Dress creation soon.


Caio,


Becca M






"Its good to see me isn't it!? No need to respond that was rhetorical!"






No comments:

Post a Comment